Sunday, 5 May 2013

New Look/Grazia Denim Styling Event - Manchester Arndale.

Yesterday I braved the rain and hopped a few trains to Manchester to check out the New Look/Grazia Denim Styling event in the Arndale - with the hope of having a couple of minutes to speak to the Grazia Fashion Editor Sophie Ferguson Jones - which I did! There was a little talk from Sophie, where she gave some hints and tips regarding the new trends for Autumn/Winter 2012 and what we should be wearing these next coming months.

Here are some of her pointers:
  • Khaki Camouflage Skinny Jeans - £24.99
 

Due to the recent Utility trend that's been gracing both the streets and catwalks this year, camouflage was bound to find its way into our leg-wear - and what better way than through denim? These are the only way that I would wear camouflage on my legs, as I'm really not a fan of leggings. Team these with a grungy shirt and creepers for a fierce daytime look, or with huge black heels and a leather jacket for an equally snazzy night out look.
  • Red Overdye Acid Wash Skinny Jeans - £22.99
 

Sophie said to look out for reds and garnet colours this upcoming season, as they were all over the catwalk recently. Even though I'm not a fan of brightly coloured denim myself, I was quite drawn to this gloriously grungy pair - a perfect addition to ombre-dyed hair and Docs.
  • Dark Blue Denim Shaper Skinny Jeans - £22.99




A range of shaping jeans were mentioned at the talk, which I'm guessing are these - as I can't find any others on the New Look website. These jeans will pull you in and up in all the right places, which is great if you're a bit dubious about squeezing into skinny jeans. I absolutely love this colour, dark denim will always be my favourite - it's slimming, versatile and always looks way more expensive than it is!


   

 The event itself was lovely, all who attended were offered a lush-looking cupcake and Sophie was wandering around chatting to customers around the store for a while after her talk. She was wearing black skinny jeans and this black polka dot peplum top, which was gorgeous. I stalked her around the shop for a little while and managed to quiz her a little on how to go about getting into an internship for a magazine like Grazia and she was really helpful. Here are some ideas she gave me:

  • Carry on with my blog and send links to select people on Twitter that work in the areas you're writing about.
  • Keep pushing for internships!
  • Don't worry too much about costs of big magazine internships - they are actually paid, unlike smaller houses.
  • Strike up the odd conversation with magazines on social media and especially the writers on there, but don't be too pushy or stalker-esque!
x

No comments:

Post a Comment